Let me start by saying we all know how trendy avocado toast is, but we also know how over priced it is! So why not learn how to make your own fancy avocado toast recipes? Let’s not stop there! What about avocado and egg toast, or perhaps a healthy breakfast sandwich. We will discuss the healthiest lunch meat that can be used in your healthy grilled cheese and other healthy sandwiches. I love bread, so we will also be covering healthy French toast. We will also cover vegetarian sandwich recipes so by the end of reading this blog, you will have the tools to create everything from the best avocado toast to the healthiest sandwich.
I think sandwiches get a bad rep due to their carb-like nature, but this blog is here to show you how to balance out your toasts and sandwiches with healthy carbs so that you can have a guilt-free easy breakfast, lunch, or brunch! In being prepared to make healthy toasts or sandwiches it is all about having the right ingredients to set yourself up for success! I’m not talking about Wonder bread, peanut butter, and jelly (although that does make for a nostalgic but not healthy snack). I am talking about vegetables, healthy bread, bread alternatives, and consciously sourced meats. Below is a list of options to mix and match for your sandwiches and toasts.
Ingredients to set yourself up for success!
Bread and Bread Alternatives:
- Ezekiel Bread
- Plant Power Cauliflower Sandwich Things (I have purchased at Whole Foods, but they can also be found here)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Bib Lettuce
- Sourdough Bread
- Gluten-Free Bread (I like Udis)
- Any locally sourced bread from a bakery or farmer’s market (think sourdough, gluten-free, or whole grains)
- Zucchini (This can be used as a base or inside a sandwich)
- Tomato (This can also be used as a base or inside a sandwich)
- Whole grain mustard
- Sprouts (I like alfalfa)
- Kraut (I like Wildborne)
- Fresh Jam
- Nut butter
- Cage-free/Pasture-raised eggs
- Cheese (organic, grass-fed)
- Turkey Breast (I like Applegate farms or again a free-range, hormone-free, grass-fed variety USDA organic is best)
- Chicken Sausage (I like Applegate farms)
- Atlantic Wild Caught Salmon
- Cottage Cheese
Healthy and Delicious Toast Recipes
Now, let’s get to the TOASTS! One of my favorite go-to toast recipes that covers a serving of vegetables, protein, and carbs is Asparagus and Poached Egg Toast -from FIXATE. The recipe includes how to poach an egg, but you can also purchase a contraption to poach easily in the microwave. I found one for a dollar at Safeway, they look like this.
Asparagus Egg Toast
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 10 medium
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread (like Ezekiel®), toasted
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Garlic Sauce (see the separate recipe for Lemon Garlic Sauce)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add asparagus; cook for 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, or until tender-crisp. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add lemon juice; reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil.
- Place one egg into a small bowl. Hold bowl close to the water’s surface and slip the egg into the water, repeat with remaining egg; cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until whites are completely set. Gently lift eggs out of water.
- Spread each piece of toast with 1 Tbsp. Lemon Garlic Sauce. Top with five asparagus spears, one egg, and pepper (if desired).
- Serve immediately.
Healthy French Toast
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt) 8 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread (like Ezekiel®) or sourdough
- Bee Pollen (optional)
- Combine almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth. Transfer almond milk mixture to a shallow pan.
- Dip each slice of bread into almond milk mixture, soaking for 10 seconds on each side. Place on a wire rack to absorb and drain excess egg mixture.
- Heat cast iron (or nonstick) skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly coat skillet with spray; cook two slices of bread for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat, lightly coating skillet with spray and adding 2 slices of bread for each batch.
- Top each slice of French toast with syrup, turmeric, and bee pollen (optional)
Traditional Avocado Toast
- Sourdough or Ezekiel Bread
- 1/2 avocado
- smoked paprika
- Himalayan sea salt
- *Optional additions: Egg and/or beet kraut and/or microgreens)
- Toast the bread
- Smash avocado and spread over the toast
- Add salt and paprika to toast
- If you want it to be extra fancy add the egg, kraut, and or microgreens.
I love to toast sourdough bread then add cottage cheese and my favorite jam. My friend Haley makes a delicious dog jam that is my favorite! You can drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze, to again, make this a fancy toast!
Make Your Own Healthy Bread
Rosemary English Muffins
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp. Instant yeast
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk beverage, warm
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (organic, grass-fed if possible), melted
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Lightly coat a muffin pan with spray. Set aside.
- Place flour, xanthan gum, salt, and yeast in a food processor; pulse to combine. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, coconut milk, ghee, maple syrup, and rosemary in a medium mixing bowl; whisk to blend.
- With the food processor running, add egg mixture to flour; process for 2 ½ minutes.
- Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup batter; cover. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 minutes, after 8 minutes begin rotating the pan.
- Let muffins cool in pan slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
(Recipe adapted from Fixate)
Once you make those delicious English muffins, you can easily make a delicious breakfast sandwich by adding avocado, red onion, and sliced tomato for a veggie protein-packed delight!
Healthy Lunch Ideas and Traditional Sandwiches!!
Cauliflower Thin Sandwich
Use 2 Cauliflower thins and spread either hummus, mustard, garlic spread or all three. Then add greens of your choice: arugula, spinach, or romaine. You can make this solely vegetarian by loading it up with all your favorite veggies and no meat. This is also a great one to add the chicken andouille sausage to. Open-faced with salmon and red onion is another delicious option!
A twist on PB&J
Toast yourself some sourdough bread. Spread your favorite nut butter (I like almond or sun) then add sliced bananas or apples and cinnamon for a hearty lunch treat. You can also drizzle with honey or agave to add some sweetness.
If you feel like you are wanting more recipes, tips, and tricks to living your healthiest life, I have lots more tips where those came from. All of my meal plans include access to hundreds of recipes and short, easy, all levels workouts. If you have any specific recipes you would like or fitness program questions, always feel free to reach out to me.
“Sarah Savino is my recommended Wellness and Nutrition Coach who resides in Colorado but has a community of clients she guides and manages nationally. She has her frequent retreats that her clients are encouraged but not required to attend and someone who knows first hand how it is to be overworked and overweight. She is a living truth that once within the right community and with the right guide, everything is possible. She can be reached email@example.com and facebook.com/sarah.savino IG- the_fit_philanthropist ”- Dr. Shakib, your Irvine Chiropractor