If air fryer recipes are what you are looking for, this is the blog for you! You may have questions like, what is air fry and how does an air fryer work? How about, are air fryers healthy? This blog will discuss how to use an air fryer, what can cook in an air fryer and what is a good air fryer, or which air fryer is the best? We will cover it all. Everything from air-fried shrimp, air fryer salmon, and other proteins to air fryer chicken and my favorite air fryer veggies! The most popular air fryer treats you hear about are air fryer French fries and tater tots. I have compiled some of the best air fryer recipes by myself and others to help you to continue to live that “fit life.”
Let me just tell you, this last Christmas 2019 was the year of “treat yo self!” After three long months of grueling cancer treatment with my partner, I wanted to do something to take care of myself and my partner better and that included purchasing two very nice appliances with the money I make from my health and fitness coaching business. Those appliances were the Vitamix and the Ninja Foodi 4 quart air fryer! My life is forever changed.
I am a person with major FOMO (fear of missing out). I run online health and wellness challenges and so many of my boot-camp babes kept posting their air fryer food, showing how quick, easy and healthy it was. Let me just say, I have used mine almost every day since it was delivered to my home the day after Christmas and I have not been disappointed.
Let’s start with all the questions you may have about air fryers. I found myself constantly searching on Amazon and the World Wide Web (do people still call it that?) adding air fryers to my cart but would never buy them because I wasn’t sure if the price was right or if it was the best value.
I am a firm believer in trusting recommendations from your friends and reading reviews. Many of my friends in my fitness group had the Ninja. I was also looking at Emeril’s and of course, we all look at the “cheap” ones that are $40 or less. In looking at those reviews I was reading that many of the baskets had the Teflon or ceramic coming off, I guess you get what you pay for! So, when the 4 qt Ninja Foodi air fryer was on sale for $99 I was sold. In my opinion, this is the best value. It is hearty, cleans easily, heats fast, works well, and was very cost-effective. I believe it also came with a warranty. I also like that it comes with a grate to put in the basket which allows me to cook both sea proteins and vegetables at the same time.
If you are still wondering what an air fryer is, it is a mini convection oven that cooks your food with air and minimal oil making it much healthier. It cooks faster and does not overheat your food preserving more nutrients. Hopefully, that answers your questions about how awesome an air fryer is, if not, let me tell you with some delicious recipes! I am talking a full meal in under 10 minutes.
What vegetables are best to put in an air fryer?
My air fryer came with a simple guide on how long to and at what temperature to air fry your vegetables (it also came with dehydration and roasting setting woohoo!) that has made my life super easy. Four vegetables that I make almost daily are Brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli, and turnips! Turnips? Yes turnips, they make delicious root vegetable french fries with fewer carbs. Add some spicy mayo and you’re set! Depending on how many vegetables you’re making (oz or lbs) you just toss them in less than a tbsp of oil, maybe some Himalayan sea salt, pepper or paprika, maybe some lemon and cook for 6-10 minutes.
Vegetables and sea protein are the easiest quick meal because you can make them together! I put my vegetable of choice on the bottom and then I take a sea protein like tuna or salmon and add it to the gate and put a little lemon and herbs on top, again, done in ten minutes (depending on the directions of your air fryer).
Other amazing frozen foods to throw in your air fryer are original tater tots, cauliflower tots, or broccoli tots, always an opportunity to get extra vegetables into your diet.
Now for some more fun Air Fryer recipe ideas:
If you like Trader Joe’s they have an amazing Falafel mix and you can make it in your air fryer!! I used this recipe for the timing from Simply Recipes.
Here is a simple and healthy chicken wing recipe from the Food Network
- Nonstick cooking spray, for the basket
- 2 pounds chicken wings split at the joint and tips removed
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing, for serving
- 3.5-quart air fryer
- Spray the basket of a 3.5-quart air fryer with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pat the chicken wings dry and sprinkle generously with salt and place the wings in the fryer basket so they are not touching (if necessary to fit, line up the drumettes standing upright along the sides).
- Set the air fryer to 360 degrees F and cook for 12 minutes, then flip the wings with tongs and cook for 12 minutes more. Flip the wings again, increase the heat to 390 degrees F and cook until the outsides are extra-crispy, about 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, warm the butter in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave until melted, about 1 minute. Whisk in the hot sauce.
- Toss the wings with the butter mixture to coat in a large bowl and serve with dressing on the side.
Since I love sea protein so much, here is one for my keto friends:
Salmon Crabcakes with my favorite Spicy Mayo! (by Allrecipes)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- cooking spray
- Whisk together mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl
- Place 1 tablespoon Sriracha mayo in the bowl of a food processor and refrigerate the rest until ready to use.
- Add salmon, almond flour, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, and green onion to the Sriracha mayo; pulse quickly for 4 to 5 seconds until ingredients are just combined, but small chunks of salmon remain. (Do not over process as the mixture will become mushy.)
- Line a plate with waxed paper and spray hands with cooking spray.
- Form the salmon mixture into 8 small patties; transfer to a plate.
- Place in the refrigerator until chilled and firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Remove salmon cakes from the refrigerator and mist both sides with cooking spray and gently place in the air fryer basket, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding.
- Cook in the air fryer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place on a serving platter and serve with remaining Sriracha mayo and a light sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning, if desired.
If you grew up in a Mexican household or were immersed in Mexican culture you likely love elote because it is freaking delicious! So here is an air fryer recipe for Mexican street corn by a lovely blog called addapinch.com.
Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn
- 4 pieces of fresh corn on the cob cleaned
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese or Feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium lime cut into wedges
- Place corn into the air fryer basket and cook at 390ºF for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle corn with cheese and cook at 390ºF for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from air fryer and sprinkle with chili powder, Stone House Seasoning, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
If you feel like you are wanting more recipes, tips, and tricks to living your healthiest life, I have lots more tips where those came from. All of my meal plans include access to hundreds of recipes and short, easy, all levels workouts. If you have any specific recipes you would like or fitness program questions, always feel free to reach out to me.
“Sarah Savino is my recommended Wellness and Nutrition Coach who resides in Colorado but has a community of clients she guides and manages nationally. She has her frequent retreats that her clients are encouraged but not required to attend and someone who knows first hand how it is to be overworked and overweight. She is a living truth that once within the right community and with the right guide, everything is possible. She can be reached firstname.lastname@example.org and facebook.com/sarah.savino IG- the_fit_philanthropist ”- Dr. Shakib, your Irvine Posture Chiropractor